A Little Something

-->

Today is the kind of day that dreams are made of. There is still the warmth of summer in the air, but the autumn wind is here. Rain has been beating against our windows since 5am, and the sky is a perfect shade of grey. I was able to get a pool workout out of the way early this morning, and came right home to stay in the bubble bath as long as I pleased.

It’s Tuesday. Last year, for every Tuesday in September-December, I spent nine hours in a classroom in San Francisco. I was tapping my pencil, sorting through fabric swatches, and staring halfway at my book and halfway on the clock. Why? Because after class I would rush back to the apartment, pack up what I needed for the rest of the week and fly home to Virginia. Flying is certainly not my specialty and unfortunately, I was dealing with a stomach bacteria and brand spankin’ new corn allergy in those months to go along with it. I knew I wouldn’t be able to take enough classes online to graduate on time, and I knew I didn’t want to be apart from my husband for weeks in a row. God showed up and gave me the strength to endure flying 12 hours a week despite my overwhelming fear and anxiety on a plane.

At the start of that four-month journey I was sure I wouldn’t be able to get through it. And each Monday as I was rushing around the house to gather things for my 24 hours in San Francisco I was sure I just couldn’t do it anymore. But sure enough, every Monday I got on that plane and arrived safely in San Francisco just in time for a few hours of sleep. And every Tuesday, I flew back home and landed safely in Virginia.  I had such little faith. The phrase “If God brings you through it, he will bring you through it” was written on my heart. We must trust that He is by our side, that He has written this trial into his perfect plan for our personal story.

I know one thing for sure: If I hadn’t had a hectic and treacherous Fall Semester last year, this one wouldn’t feel half as sweet. So as I sit on the couch listening to the rain sweep against these walls, I am so thankful to be in my family room instead of a plane seat.

If, however, you are in the plane seat instead of the comfy couch….remind yourself that it is coming. Don’t ever forget that in the end, it will be good. And if it’s not good, it’s not the end. 


Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord.

Psalm 27:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole 30 Recap

Above All Else, Guard Your Heart

What's in a Name?